- Day 1: Arrival in Costa Rica – Hotel Bougainvillea, a botanical paradise
- Day 2: Bougainvillea and Lankester Gardens – Orchid wonders and vibrant flora
- Day 3: Cloud Forest in San Gerardo de Dota – Spotting the magnificent Quetzal
- Day 4: Wilson Botanical Gardens and Uvita – Exploring diverse plant species
- Day 5: Tarcoles River and Carara National Park – Birdwatching and crocodile spotting
- Day 6: Macaw Lodge – Immersion in rainforest beauty
- Day 7: Else Kienzler Botanical Gardens and Arenal Volcano – Nature’s abundance
- Day 8: Arenal Hanging Bridges – Hiking amidst stunning vistas
- Day 9: Xandari Resort and Spa – Gardens, waterfalls, and birdwatching
- Day 10: Garden visits in Alajuela – Beauty of Costa Rican flora
- Day 11: Departure – Farewell to Costa Rica’s natural wonders
Immerse yourself in Costa Rica’s botanical treasures and natural splendors on this captivating 11-day tour. Explore vibrant gardens, encounter exotic orchids, spot rare wildlife, and marvel at breathtaking landscapes. Experience the beauty and tranquility of Costa Rica’s rich biodiversity and bid farewell to an unforgettable journey.
Embark on a captivating tour of Costa Rica’s lush gardens and natural wonders. Explore stunning botanical gardens, spot rare orchids, and witness the vibrant wildlife that thrives in these tropical paradises. From the Bougainvillea garden to the cloud forests of San Gerardo de Dota and the majestic Arenal Volcano, this tour immerses you in the beauty and tranquility of Costa Rica’s natural landscapes. Indulge in the luxurious accommodations and delightful cuisine offered at each lodge along the way. Join us on this unforgettable journey through Costa Rica’s garden treasures.
Day 1 7 September 2024 – Arrival in Costa Rica:
- As soon as we arrive at Juan Santamaria airport, one of our representatives will meet us and provide transportation to our hotel, Hotel Bougainvillea. It’s a quick 20-minute drive from the airport, and depending on our arrival time, we can spend some time exploring the hotel’s stunning garden. The garden spans 10 acres and is home to a variety of tropical plants, including heliconias, bromeliads, orchids, and trees that attract an array of colorful butterflies and birds.
- We’ll spend the night at the hotel, which includes breakfast.
Day 2 8 September 2024 – Bougainvillea and Lankester Gardens and San Gerardo de Dota Cloud Forest:
- We start our day with an early morning walk through the gorgeous Bougainvillea garden. With its great variety of flora, including seven different colors of the Bougainvillea flower, it’s one of the main attractions of the hotel. It recently earned recognition from the National Gardening Association as the best garden in Costa Rica. Additionally, there are several small ponds where endangered frog species, such as Forreri’s Leopard frog, the Blue-sided tree frog, and the Brilliant forest frog, are being preserved.
- After breakfast and some time in the garden, our driver will take us to Lankester Botanical Gardens for lunch and a tour. This botanical garden is one of the top tourist attractions in Costa Rica’s Central Valley, and it’s also a research center that’s part of the University of Costa Rica. It’s dedicated to the exhibition, conservation, and study of orchids, of which Costa Rica has more diversity of species than most other countries. Visitors can observe over 20,000 orchid plants being cultivated in the greenhouses, including emblematic species such as the Guaria Morada (National Flower of Costa Rica), Guaria Turrialba (Cattleya dowiana), Toritos (Stanhopeas), and Golden Rains (Oncidiums), as well as hundreds of species of miniature orchids, some of which are among the smallest in the world, measuring just a few millimeters.
- After lunch and the tour, we’ll travel to the peaceful cloud forest of San Gerardo de Dota, where we’ll spend the night at Lauraceas Lodge. Our stay includes lunch, dinner, and breakfast.
Day 3 9 September 2024 – Cloud Forest in San Gerardo de Dota:
- We start our day with an early morning Quetzal Tour, where we’ll head out on a walk to spot the Resplendent Quetzal, the sacred bird of the Aztec and Maya cultures. San Gerardo de Dota is known as the best place in Costa Rica to see this magnificent bird, and with our experienced guide, we’ll have a success rate of over 95% each year. After the tour, we can enjoy a delicious breakfast at the lodge. Later in the day, we can explore the beautiful surroundings of the lodge on our own, with stunning views of the cloud forest and nearby rivers. We’ll have lunch at the restaurant Alma de Arbol before visiting the Lauraceas Botanical Garden, which features a path with a great variety of endemic and exotic plants. The path leads to a viewpoint where we can observe the Valley of San Gerardo de Dota.
- We’ll spend the night at Lauraceas Lodge, which includes dinner, lunch, and breakfast.
Day 4 10 September 2024 – Wilson Botanical Gardens and Uvita:
- After breakfast, we’ll travel for four hours to reach Wilson Botanical Gardens, where we’ll have lunch before embarking on a tour with an English-speaking guide. The gardens feature a great variety of plants, including orchids, palms, and heliconias. After the tour, we’ll travel to Uvita to enjoy the sunset.
- We’ll spend the night at Cusinga Lodge, which includes lunch, dinner, and breakfast.
Day 5 11 September 2024 – Tarcoles and Carara National Park:
- In the morning, we can enjoy the beautiful gardens and tropical plants surrounding the lodge before driving to the Tarcoles River. We’ll have lunch by the river before embarking on a tour where we can observe many birds and crocodiles.
- We’ll travel back to our lodge, Macaw Lodge, where we’ll spend the night and enjoy dinner, lunch, and breakfast.
Day 6 12 September 2024 – Macaw Lodge:
- We’ll have the entire day to explore the beautiful garden and surroundings of Macaw Lodge at our leisure. We can take a walk through the primary and secondary rainforests, immerse ourselves in nature, or simply relax by the lodge’s refreshing pool.
- We’ll spend the night at Macaw Lodge, including dinner, lunch, and breakfast.
Day 7 13 September 2024 – Else Kienzler Botanical Gardens and Arenal Volcano:
- After breakfast, we’ll travel to the Arenal Volcano, with a stop at the Else Kienzler Botanical Gardens for lunch. The gardens feature a wide variety of plants, including medicinal herbs, fruit trees, and cacti. After our visit, we’ll continue our journey to the Arenal Volcano, where we’ll stay at Arenal Observatory Lodge. The lodge offers an amazing view of the volcano, and its rich volcanic soils support primary and secondary rainforests. With a 7-mile trail system, we can easily explore the property’s breathtaking natural beauty. In the afternoon, we can hike around the lodge, taking in the sights and sounds of the rainforest.
- We’ll enjoy dinner and spend the night at Arenal Observatory Lodge, including lunch and breakfast.
Day 8 14 September 2024 – Volcano Arenal:
- Today, we’ll have the opportunity to hike at the hanging bridges, experiencing the unique views of the volcano from different vantage points. We’ll be immersed in the natural beauty of the surroundings as we traverse the suspended bridges.
- We’ll spend the night at Arenal Observatory Lodge, including lunch, dinner, and breakfast.
Day 9 15 September 2024 – Alajuela:
- After breakfast, we’ll travel to Xandari Resort and Spa, where we can indulge in the amazing views and explore the beautiful gardens. Xandari Resort’s 40-acre property includes diverse tropical gardens and a forest reserve with several miles of trails that lead to multiple waterfalls. We’ll have the chance to spot over 140 species of both resident Costa Rican and migratory North American bird species.
- We’ll spend the night at Xandari Resort, enjoying a delightful breakfast.
Day 10 16 September 2024 – Alajuela and Surroundings:
- During the morning, we’ll visit Mrs. Ileana Téran’s garden and then explore the garden of Mrs. Elena Chinchilla, both of which showcase the extraordinary beauty of Costa Rican flora.
- We’ll spend the night at Xandari Resort, including breakfast.
Day 11 17 September 2024 – International Flight:
- After breakfast, we’ll arrange a transfer to the international airport for our departure, bidding farewell to the enchanting gardens and natural wonders of Costa Rica.
- Start Date07/09/2024
- End Date17/09/2024
- Accommodation4* Hotels
- Single Supplement1150
- Lunches5 included
- Breakfast10 included
- Dinner4 included
What's Not Included:
- Flights to and from Costa Rica